1. Denise Dumars has arranged two October sf/f/h poetry readings in Long Beach, California.
Friday, October 13, 2006 - 7 pm
Acres of Books (in the music room), 240 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA
Featuring Poetry and Fiction Reading by authors from HWA and SFPA
Saturday, October 21, 2006 - time TBA
Garden of Pan, 510 E. Broadway, Long Beach, CA
Featuring Poetry and Fiction Reading and Short Film Screening by members of
HWA and SFPA
If you live in Southern California or plan to be in Southern California on those days and want to participate in either one, you need to call Denise on the telephone. E-mail me offlist at dkolodji "at" aol "dot" com for the number to call.
2. The John Steinbeck Center in Salinas, California is doing a "10,000 Poems" project. They are trying to make the record for the largest poetry collection. Previously published poems are ok. The deadline is October 14, 2006. The poems can be any style, any topic, and do not need to be related to Steinbeck. For more information, click here.
3. Modern Haiku is having a book sale fundraiser of some books which used to belong to Robert Speiss, some bearing his signature and/or his chopmark. There are some very interesting books here for haiku lovers. Billie Wilson is handling the transactions.
4. Ribbons, the journal of the Tanka Society of America is looking for submissions of tanka. You do not have to be a member to submit to the journal. Submissions of up to six tanka should be sent to an'ya at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of "Ribbons Submissions Winter/2006" or by post to an'ya, TSA Editor, POB 3627, La Pine, Oregon USA.
5. Lisa Janice Cohen has posted her final reports of the 2006 Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival on her blog.
6. Linda Galloway, a friend from my haiku group called me from the Yuki Teikei Society Asilomar haiku retreat to tell me that not only was her presentation on sign language haiku well received, she has been invited to present it again at Haiku Pacific Rim in Matsuyama, Japan this coming April.